Are you ready for another edition of my Tom Top Ten? This is the second in a series of mini (just 10 pics each) picspams in celebration of Tom Welling, highlighting the wonderful performances he gives us, episode after episode. I call this one Broken. I hope you like it!
1) 1.10 - Shimmer. Whitney is shutting Lana out, and she has turned to Clark, ready to open her heart to him. Rather than take advantage of her vulnerability, Clark advises her to give Whitney another chance. He knows he has done the right thing, but that is cold comfort for the heartache he feels when he sees their happy reunion through his telescope.
2) 2.23 - Exodus. Martha has lost her baby as a direct result of Clark's desperate decision to destroy his ship. Unable to live with his crushing guilt and remorse, Clark runs away from home.
3) 3.09 - Asylum. Clark has come to Belle Reve to rescue Lex from the electroshock oblivion Lionel has planned for his son, but before he can release his friend, he is attacked by meteor freaks seeking their own escape. By the time he dispatches them and returns for Lex, he is devastated to realize he is too late.
4) 4.12 - Pariah. Alicia is dead, and Clark mourns. His loss is made even harder to bear by the fact that he can share it with no one. His parents have always disapproved of his relationship with Alicia, and no one else can possibly understand what made their love so special to him. Or so he thinks.
5) 5.13 - Vengeance. After turning away all those who would comfort him, and enduring his grief and guilt in silence, Clark finally faces the loss of his father, and the floodgates open.
6) 6.12 - Labyrinth. Clark is trapped in an AU where he has no superpowers, is a patient in a mental institution, and everything he thought was true seems to be false. After the final blow of watching Chloe die in his arms, Clark loses the will to fight, and finds himself on the brink of despair and defeat.
7) 6.16 - Promise. After declaring her love for Clark and promising to run away with him, Lana inexplicably goes through with her wedding to Lex. Confused and desperate, Clark is powerless to stop her, in spite of all his abilities, and can only stand and watch her slip away.
8) 7.01 - Bizarro. Clark waits at the Smallville Medical Center for word about Chloe's condition. When the doctor comes looking for Lois, and refuses to talk to Clark, he panics. He bursts into the treatment room, only to find Chloe gone. Demanding an explanation, he is told that she didn't make it, and is almost overcome by the grief that follows.
9) 7.15 - Veritas. Knowing how much Lana means to Clark, Brainiac attacks her and leaves her in a catatonic state, suffering pain without end, to compel Clark and Kara to do his bidding. Powerless to save Lana, and racked by guilt, Clark is destroyed.
10) 7.20 - Arctic. Having finally defeated Brainiac, releasing both Chloe and Lana from his torturous grasp, Clark eagerly anticipates his reunion with Lana. Instead he finds nothing but a tearful and final goodbye. In that moment he loses not only Lana, but also the dream for his life he has held close to his heart for all the years we've known him.
Screen caps courtesy of acampbell, KEakaCK, and SVFan, with my thanks!
And there you have my choices for Tom's Top Ten performances where he made me weep for Clark's pain and sorrow. Do you have a different Broken favorite? If so, tell us about it in the comments. I know I had a terrible time limiting myself to just ten. And look for another Tom Top Ten picspam before too long!
Did you miss the previous Tom Top Ten? Click to see Dangerous.