In anticipation of Smallville returning to our television screens with S8 on September 18, I'm kicking off a new series of mini (just 10 pics each) picspams in celebration of Tom Welling, highlighting the wonderful performances he gives us, episode after episode. I'm calling it my Tom Top Ten. Each picspam will have a theme of just one word, much like the Smallville episode titles. I call the first one Dangerous. Enjoy!
1) 2.04 - Heat. Under the heady influence of Red!K, Clark is unpredictable, self-indulgent, rude, and violent. It's a Clark we've never seen before, and Tom makes him as sexy as he is scary!
2) 3.01 - Exile. Racked by guilt, Clark has run away to the big city, where he lives a life of fast cars, fast women, and violent crime, forgetting his loneliness and remorse in a haze of Red!K. Tom plays every layer and nuance of this Clark perfectly, and makes us fear for the hero we have lost.
3) 3.02 - Phoenix. When Clark's other life follows him home to Smallville and threatens his family, he doesn't hesitate to let Morgan Edge know there are lines he will allow no man to cross. Tom makes us realize that Clark's summer in Metropolis has left an indelible mark on our sweet boy.
4) 4.01 - Crusade. After disappearing for three months, Clark returns to Smallville as Kal-El, Son of Krypton. Fierce and emotionless, he will pursue his destiny at all costs, with no mind to the puny humans who may perish in his wake. Tom makes us despair for Martha's loving son, even as we squee when Kal-El takes to the skies!
5) 4.06 - Transference. Lionel and Clark switch bodies! Tom is the embodiment of the Magnificent Bastard in Clark's body, and stuns viewers with his finely crafted performance, giving us one of the best episodes of Smallville we've ever seen!
6) 5.07 - Splinter. Infected by Silver!K, Clark suffers from paranoid delusions with violent tendencies! Tom makes us believe Clark might actually kill Lana Lang!
7) 5.13 - Vengeance. Reeling from the death of his father, and tortured by guilt that he is responsible, Clark hunts down the criminal who dared to assault his mother. Tom takes Clark right to the edge of the precipice, and leaves us all breathless!
8) 5.16 - Hypnotic. The most powerful being on Earth is under the spell of a conscienceless woman with murder on her mind! Tom makes us realize the terrible threat our hero could have become without the moral code and compassion instilled in him by the Kents.
9) 6.17 - Combat. Angry and hurt after Lana's decision to marry Lex, Clark seems to be spoiling for a fight, and walks a very fine line as he pursues those he inadvertently released from the Phantom Zone. Tom shows us that Clark is ready to defend the planet he calls home, even from the most intimidating of adversaries.
10) 7.01 - Bizarro. The worst of the Phantoms has stolen Clark's DNA and made himself into a twisted, evil version of our hero. In an acting tour de force, Tom plays both roles brilliantly, with no question of where one ends and the other begins.
Screen caps courtesy of acampbell and SVFan, with my thanks!
And there you have my choices for Tom's Top Ten performances where he gave us a bit of a scare! Do you have a different Dangerous favorite? If so, tell us about it in the comments. And look for another Tom Top Ten picspam soon!